Pages

Monday 28 May 2012

Superstition is a Currency - Dig Devil Dig

Follow Me on Pinterest


I love words almost as much as I love music - quelle surprise, oui?! I love talking, I love singing, I love writing (much to the chagrin of a few I'm certain). Nothing makes me happier than a well-placed phrase, a subtle inflection, a beautiful string of words or a clever metaphor. Especially when these words are embedded in a gorgeous catchy song, which brings me to the band de jour.




They're called Dig Devil Dig, they're from London, and they're phenomenal. This stunning quartet is comprised of [l to r] Ryan Kriz (drums), Chad Bolen (bass), Patrick Davison (guitar) and singer-songwriter Cheyne McCormick (Piano). You know when you hear a song for the first time and a lyric jumps out and you think 'damn, I should've written that'. Makes me happy and sad all at the same time. 



Well, 'superstition is a currency' was one of those lyrics for me - one of many, to be clear, but let's put a pin in that for now. It's from a song called Mad Dogs off their first EP of same name. How Mr. McCormick manages to write songs that are sad, dark and strangely optimistic all at the same time is a mystery to me.


Dig Devil Dig's long awaited full-length album I Felt it,but Not That Much has finally been released and lives up to every bit of the hype. Filled with melodic grooves and haunting vocals, this record paints a soundscape as sweet as the day is long. Early on I fell in love with three tracks from the demos and they still hold firm.

Citizen Singleton is like a beautifully sad, stuttering little lullaby and possibly about twin babies trying to kill one another in the womb, but one never can tell.




The Bathroom Lights (Humpty Jumped) is a crescendo filled story loosely based, or so I'm told, on Humpty Dumpty's suicide... 'I had so many happy thoughts, I lost them all at once'.





My Brother, The Terrorist is the first song I heard from the demos and I adore it. I can't even put my finger on it, it's just fantastic in every way and oddly reminds me of that 'Do you hear what I hear' song (just the tempo and 'pings' in the background, maybe it's just me). The title of the album is a lyric from this track, along with 'make loops of linear thoughts' and 'a white drop in the grey'... I mean, seriously, why resist?






If you think those songs were rad, check out their website for show listings and even more goodness -   there is nothing like seeing this band live. If that wasn't enough, both Mad Dogs and I Felt it, but Not That Much are now available on iTunes! Yay! Thanks in advance for reading and supporting local music - and hooray DDD for finally releasing this record, 'I'm so happy I could squeeze you'. 








No comments:

Post a Comment